Artists Statement

I paint as often and as much as I can. I take classes when I can afford it, but the money usually goes to buy more art supplies. This blog is to share the results with you! I am a Work in Progress.

Dianne Lanning Fine Art.com


Thursday, June 19, 2014

Too busy to post? Ah, the retired life . . .

When I would have time for EVERY THING. I have to say it, mother was right.
Well, here are a couple of things:
Neckline embroidery completed

Kirtle hem embroidery, one triangle to go, seam guarding done.
Did I show you this already? The neckline is finished, as are the pocket slits, the hem (above), the seam guarding and all, but the front placket, eeck! All those eyelets. So I decided on some little round bronze buttons I got a long time ago, and a fake placket down the front. Now where did I put those buttons. BTW, where do I keep my buttons?

Then I found the most wonderfully reasonable linen source "down the coast." I have become a linen junky. Fortunately I already had enough light weight white linen to make a chemise/shift/chainse/ well lets just call it a slip. (Use your imagination, it doesn't take a very exciting photo.)

At this new source I found some hanky weight Autumn Gold linen to make a new kirtle with long sleeves that can also function as an undergown. More later on that. My focus has been things I can wear when it's hot to SCA events.

Now that other thing I do:
Redwood - Work in progress, watercolor
I needed to paint a redwood tree. Well, now there are little studies of redwoods all over the house, on the corners of letters and bills, magazines, scratch paper and sketch and drawing paper. They kept getting bigger and bigger, I couldn't even keep them on the page! Above is an early version of the final one. They are a California native, why haven't I painted these more? Anyway, here is the final version, of course it won't fit on my scanner:
Redwood giant - watercolor
So, fortunately my nephew found me a FedEx place that will scan it for me. The above is a photo of it. Today I visit FedEx and scan this and email it out! Oh yeah, did you know that giant redwoods have one of the smallest cones?
Average pine cone
Normal pine tree cone above.
Comparison with redwood cone - watercolor
Comparison of normal pine cone (bottom) and redwood cone (top). Nature is amazing!

Now wasn't that fun? I think I'll put on my kirtle and go out plein air painting. My family knows I'd do it, too.






No comments:

Post a Comment